12.21.2008 Pecans
I have had a pretty exciting week. Lots of holiday cheer at work. We had a birthday lunch for the boss on Monday, the boss threw a department holiday luncheon on Wednesday, and we had an employee holiday party for the entire agency on Thursday. So you can see we Federal employees didn't do much work this week and will do even less work this next week considering we have half of the week off for the holiday. Our Commissioner gave us half the day off on Wednesday, Christmas on Thursday, and the President gave us Friday off. Yay me!
Now the exciting part that happened this week, happened to me on Thursday at the employee holiday party. Right before they were going to serve our meal, a police officer came to the party asking for the owner of a certain vehicle. Before the vehicle was announced, my table was laughing saying they were looking for each other's vehicle. As you guessed it, I was the lucky owner of the vehicle in question.
I got down to my vehicle to discover while parked, a 14 year old kid and his girlfriend had hit my car. They were driving a friends car and the young man was digging for something in the backseat when he jumped the curb and hit my car. He just happened to miss a tree and a street sign, going through them like a goal post to land on my car He pushed my car a good foot and without hitting the car parked next to me. Of course his car, or shall I say his friend's car was toast. The front airbags deployed shattering the windshield. The front right tire was blown and fluids were leaking. My car suffered damage to the dumper and left fender, maybe a little to the grill too. I do have uninsured motorist coverage which is a good thing because this kid wasn't insured as any 14 year old that isn't legally allowed to drive wouldn't be. I did feel a little for the kid though... his older brother showed up to the scene and between him and the cop, they gave this kid a lecture of a lifetime. They were going to have to take him and the girl to some juvenile detention facility until their parents showed up which wasn't going to be anytime soon. The kid was so apologetic and I really wasn't upset. Really it was just one of those things. Shit really happens. Yes I am not happy that my insurance company will probably have to foot the bill. I am happy that I have uninsured motorist coverage to my deductible is $250 vs. $500 and I am not limited to a $20 a day rental car. I can get a rental comparible to my car while the repairs are being done.
My appointment isn't until Wednesday to see the insurance adjuster. My car is drivable. My insurance premium will probably increase. So overall I am not too happy but what can you do.
Maria and I went to Stahmann's Farms yesterday and loaded up on pecan candy goodness. They have the best local pecans and make the most delicious candies and goodies. Always a nice trip "out of state". They are located in La Mesa, NM.
Nothing really planned for this Christmas week except to get a little work done. Seriously need to get some boxes unpacked today. Make room for my new furniture which I still don't know when it will be delivered. Making a roast today in the Crock Pot for dinner. Basically I will try to be a hermit today and not leave the apartment. Now if I could just get dressed and out of bed!!!



1 comment:
I'm so glad to hear that you are enjoying your new job. Bummer about the accident, though... It really sucks that even though it wasn't your fault, you still have to pay. We were just in an accident too. Not our fault, but the van was in the shop for 3 weeks while we had to make due with a crappy $20/day sub-compact.
Merry Christmas, Kim!
Post a Comment