Tuesday, June 09, 2009

06.09.2009 Discoveries

So I have made several "arty" discoveries this past week...

I am a big fan of Rachel Whetzel. She is an amazing paper artist and I have been following her blog for awhile now. Recently she has dabbled in paper clay dolls. I am absolutely amazed and astounded by her fantastic pieces of art. Check out this post on Rachel's blog regarding the fantastic dolls she has been making. Amazing right? How can I make something that fantastic. Let me tell you how. I found on Rachel's blog where she took an online course on paper clay dolls. The class is $40 and is a series of instructional videos showing exactly how to make a paper clay doll of your own plus so much more. Needless to say I am awestruck!

I know I have been talking for too long about making dolls. Really I have good intentions. I have several dolls started but nothing seems to get done. Sorry to say that I haven't really been motivated. Until now. This class called for a very expensive trip to Hobby Lobby to pick up some paper clay as well as a million other things I need to actually complete a doll. (Well that really is a lie considering all I probably needed was the paper clay as I have every other craft supply known to man that would complete a doll). So I am on my way to making a paper clay doll. You know I will post a picture when I finish. And my plans are to make the first doll as a Christmas gift for my mother... so I definitely hope to finish by Chrismas!

In my search online for information on paper clay dolls, I found out here is this wonderful publication called Art Doll Quarterly. I really don't know how I missed out on this one. First of all I am a fiend for magazines. I search the racks at Barnes and Noble for new and different magazines, especially when I have all the current issues of the magazines I routinely read. Secondy, I am a big fan of collectible dolls let along making dolls. So when I discovered ADQ, I rushed out to Barnes and Noble. I picked up this delicious tidbit:

It is a gorgeous publication showcasing some wonderful, unique pieces of art. In the current publication pictured above there is an article on Danita. Danita makes coth dolls and canvas art along with wooden dolls and jewelry and plenty of other things. I love the faces on the dolls and art. Simple but not. Ready the article, I discovered that Danita lives in Juarez. As you know Juarez is the sister city of El Paso where I currently reside. Of course, I immediately commented on Danita's blog telling her that I love her work. This cover shows a couple of items by Danita:

I believe I have hit the jackpot this past week and wonderful arty finds. Like I needed more inspiration on yet another "craft" project. I don't care... I think the paper clay dolls are genius which in turn makes me a genius for attempting to make one. Right?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

5 comments:

{Susan...Seriously.} said...

very cool!! you better share!!

susanbuchanan2 said...

i think you are going to love making dolls. hope you will enjoy the class as i did.

Joni M said...

How fun! There's nothing like a brand new obsession, hehehe! I know Rachel and I met her when she was down her in So. CA last year. She's an amazing lady. We had dinner with a few ladies from Tally Scrappers. Have you seen her photography?!!!... like I said, an amazing lady!

Aimeslee Winans said...

Oooooh, this is your first summer out there...can you fry an egg on the sidewalk yet? I'm bettin you'll be able to before the fall. Ugh. You will be needing all that fabric for headbands and handkerchiefs, LOLOL. Seriously, ok, best of luck and I'm glad you found a new muse, girl!

xoxo,
Aimeslee

Mrs Pretzel said...

WOW. Thank you so much for the LOVE!! Can't wait to see your first doll!!