Thursday, January 01, 2009

01.01.2009 Happy New Year

I hope I started the new year out right... Got up and ready to go pretty early today. Went to Ross (will tell you this story in a second...), Barnes and Noble, and then the laundromat.

Here is where I am hoping I started the year our right. I made a donation to Kiva.org Kiva is an organization that offers loans to enterprising individuals in third world countries. For as little as $25 you can change the lives of many individuals. I have made three $25 loans in the past year. I have been paid back according to the schedule by the individuals who borrowed the money. Granted $25 is just a small part of the loans requested. You would be amazed how far a couple of dollars go in these third world countries. I just think it is a great idea. It takes so little to make such a big impression in someone's life. And the Kiva organization runs on so little funds. The money I have been paid back on the loans, I have donated to the Kiva organization because I think it is such a worthwhile effort. Anyways I hope you are inspired to donate. Not necessarily to Kiva but to something... whether it is time, money, or goods. I know I have so much compared to many that have so little... and I have room to bitch about how bad my life is or when something doesn't go my way. Guess what... I have a job, a warm place to sleep, food to eat, a car to drive, and plenty of clothes. Not to mention all the other things that I think I need to make my life compete.

Now back to my Ross story (to purchase more of the things to make my life complete). I need some drinking glasses and curtain rods. I really didn't feel the need to pay full price when I saw what I wanted at Ross. Well I tried two times in the past couple of weeks to buy these items from Ross. Let me tell you that everyone from Las Cruces, El Paso, and Juarez must have been at Ross the same time I was, on both occasions. The lines to check out snaked through a roped off maze, along the side wall, and along the back wall. I said to myself do I really need to stand in line at least a hour to purchase $30 worth of stuff. The answer was definately NO. Plus you know there is never enough cashiers working the front and the ones that are working aren't in any kind of race to see who can get the most customers out the front door. Knowing I was going to be off today, I made sure to call Ross to see when they opened. I got there right at opening and was the only customer for a good 15-20 minutes. Bliss. I spent an hour in the store and was the only customer at the checkout. Bliss again. By the way, I also purchased the cutest little red skimmer shoes. Cutie patooties!

Happy New Year to each and every one of you. Wishing you good tidings for the new year to you and your family!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

4 comments:

Joni M said...

Happy New Year, Kim!
Congrats on the great finds... I just love a bargin.
Will we see some scrapping from you this year?

Kerry McKibbins said...

Happy New Year Kim!!!

Aubrey said...

Happy New Year to you too Kim! I miss you dear friend and I'm glad to read that you got the job you were hoping for (yes, I read SEVERAL posts backwards trying to catch up).

Please stay in contact... please. I can't wait to hear from you!

Kerry McKibbins said...

Hey, thanks for following me!
Now post something new!