Saturday, September 13, 2008

09.13.2008 Hurricane Ike

Yes I am quite aware that I haven't posted in quite awhile. Two reasons. Not necessarily valid reasons but two reasons nonetheless. First. My internet at home has been out for several weeks. Just on a lark I turned on my computer today to try my internet thinking it wouldn't work especially the afternoon after Hurricane Ike. Maybe Ike put the right mojo on it because my internet is working like a charm today. My internet goes out randomly after storms... so who would've thunk it. Second. I really haven't had anything to post of interest lately. Needless to say, another boring post coming your way...

I have survived Hurricane Ike. I believe this is the closest I have been to a hurricane. I have been extremely nervous the past couple of days in anticipation of Ike. Nervous to the point of giddiness.... seriously good mood at work. So much so that my mom even make a comment. I told her maybe we need to have a hurricane come through more often. So I went to the obligatory grocery store run on Thursday at noon. I really didn't know what to buy considering I counted on a power outage at the least. So what do I buy that will survive without refrigeration that I can survive on for a few days. I bought what I wanted be damned with the refrigeration. The store was busy but checkout was quick. Lucky for me the power did not go out. We did get some high winds and a lot of rain. The winds did bring down alot of limbs, big and small. About three big limbs fell down in my yard. Luckily the dogs have a ginormous doghouse to hide in. I kept Baby, Sugar, Pearl, and Peanut (who is normally an outside dog) in the house overnight. Baby, Sugar, and Pearl are always in overnight but I wanted to bring in Peanut too. Except for the three dogs (Blackie, Cowboy, and Curlie Sue) that I keep in my yard and the four in my house, all the other dogs stayed inside at the warehouse. I got a little cabin fever today and took a ride around the property around noon. One tree was snapped in half and one Horse Apple tree was uprooted. Other than that the lake filled up quite a bit and again there were tree limbs, big and small, down all over the property. Keep in mind my parents have 755 acres with plenty of old, old, old Pecan and Oak trees plus plenty of other trees that I cannot name. Other than losing power, one of my biggest fears was the big trees in my yard toppling onto the house. For the reason, I slept on the couch with Baby. The biggest tree in the yard is very close to my bedroom and I couldn't chance it. Not that I got much sleep last night over worry and the uncomfortable sleeping arrangements on the couch with Baby. I don't know how a four pound dog can make sleeping on the couch an uncomfortable situation but she does. We made it through... now just to survive all the standing water and mud. Yuck! I hope the power is restored quickly for those in Houston and the surrounding areas. Estimates are over 2 million CenterPoint Energy customers are without power and no telling how long it could take to restore it due to all the debris and downed trees.

I have taken a break with the papercrafting. I have been working on reorganizing my {s}crap room once again. I think scrapbookers spend as much time organizing and re-organizing as they do on the actual crafting. I have great new plans to make my room workable plus I want to start sewing again. I think I said I was going to start sewing again over a year ago but this time I am serious. I bought several new patterns but the best have to be from Raggedy Old Annies. I was so excited to see one of the new patterns Nicole posted was of a finished that I bought from her... one I would love to make. So not only did I buy that pattern but I bought all four of the new patterns plus I got one free... a great deal she is offering. If you are into sewing, I highly recommend Raggedy Old Annies... they are too cute!

Nothing new on the job front. I continue to submit applications... and continue to get frustrated. I know it isn't because I am not qualified or my application doesn't look good... there is just a lot of competition out there. And I know it helps if you know someone... which I really don't. I did apply for another position in El Paso as well as College Station that I am waiting to hear results and see if I get called for an interview. Other than that not much else to report.

I don't know if I have seen any movies other than Death Race since my last post... Death Race was the greatest bloody, deathly, action movie I have seen in a long time. E asked me if I thought it was better than Jason Bourne and I responded by saying it would give Jason Bourne a run for his money. It was a fantastic movie that kept me on the edge of my seat. At the climax of one action packed scene, I actually said seriously outloud in the theatre "What?" when it was done. Exciting... so exciting that I will definately invest in the DVD when it is released!

Sugar is on pills to cure her incontinence for the rest of her life. When she first got on the pills she was out of it and sleeping alot... a real change in her personality. Then she got aggressive. She has always been a bossy dog and bullies everyone but now she is more aggressive. Not a good change but we are dealing with it.

I guess that is all I have to report. Maybe I can get a picture or two of the results of Ike posted. Maybe.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

2 comments:

Joni M said...

I thought of you as we were watching Ike move through TX. I'm glad it didn't cause any serious damage in your area. It's great to see you blogging again!

{Susan...Seriously.} said...

^^^i second what joni said...i have been through a few hurricanes with power outages and that's no fun.

those raggedy old annies are cute...i wish i had some sewing ability, but i totally lack in that area. can't wait for you to share.